9.45am Holy Eucharist
(5th Sunday - Morning Worship)
Check out our website here.
The reordered space at St Grwst’s Church with its underfloor heating, flexible seating, kitchen and toilet facilities now provides the ideal venue for meetings, conferences, exhibitions, concerts and so much more.
Contact: Jon Richmond
Mobile: 07936 973476
In 2019/2020, a major restoration and reordering project took place at St Grwst's, largely funded by the National Lottery Heritage Fund.
The work has involved:
Removing most of the old Victorian pews and replacing them with comfortable wooden chairs which can be adapted for different seating arrangements.
Removing the old uneven floor, recording archeological findings underneath, and then relaying a new stone floor with underfloor heating. Constructing a new oak faced 'pod' containing a kitchen, toilets (one of which is fully accessible) and storage room for chairs. Installing a new dedicated interpretation area at the rear of the north aisle, giving information about the history of the church and the town of Llanrwst. Conservation work to the historic Gwydir Chapel. Relaying the external path, creating level access to the main part of the building.
The result has been the creation of a wonderful community facility, suitable for use by a variety of different groups, creation of a tourist 'hub' and a building which provides us with much improved facilities with which to serve the community in Llanrwst.
We're keen to develop our friendly volunteer team, so if you have some spare time and would like to be involved, please get in touch with our Business Development Officer Jon Richmond, on 07936 973476 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
As you stand in the church, in such an idyllic and peaceful setting, it can be difficult to imagine that Llanrwst has been at the centre of many battles over the centuries. In fact, many parts of the town have been devastated and re-built twice, and the old church that stood here suffered on both occasions. The old church on this site was partly destroyed by fire when Llanrwst supported Owain Glyndwr's uprising against English rule in the 15th century. Apparently the town was deserted for so long after the battle, that grass grew on the square and the deer from the forest came to graze on it!
After this battle, the town didn't have much time to recover, because around 60 years later Llanrwst was involved in the 'Wars of the Roses' - the Yorkists versus the Lancastrians battling for the throne of England. This time in 1468, the old church was burnt to the ground when the Earl of Pembroke's men (Yorkists) retaliated against Llanrwst (Lancastrians) for the burning of Denbigh. The man who led the battle in Llanrwst was Dafydd ap Seincyn (known as the Welsh Robin Hood), and his spur can e seen in Gwydir Chapel, next to the church. It was these events that laid the foundations for the Tudor reign in Britain, when the Crown was seized by a fellow Welsh Lancastrian, Henry VII.
The current Church building is around 600 years old and was built in 1470. It is dedicated to St Grwst, a Celtic Saint who founded a church in Llanrwst in the 6th century. That original church was on a site near here, called 'Cae Llan' (Church Field). The land on which this church is built was donated in the 11th century by Rhun, son of Nefydd Hardd who was the founder of one of the fifteen great families of Gwynedd. Rhun gave the land to build the church to make amends for the actions of his father, who had murdered Prince Idwal, the son of Owain Gwynedd (King of Gwynedd). Unfortunately, the church that was built at that time was destroyed during the 'Wars of the Roses'.
More history about St Grwst's Church and Llanrwst can be found at History Points.